Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c yes...a/c no...

Grandon's a/c unit worked super on that very hot Friday. But there was a lot of vibration from the furnace. (We're new to this house...) My son and I pulled the blower cage out, as I suspected it was off balance due to dirt. It was pretty nasty. This is the squirrel cage blower in the furnace unit. So my son takes it back to his house and has his way with it. Cleaned off the mat of dust on the motor and used compressed air to thoroughly clean that and the blower cage. Even oiled the motor bearings. It runs really nice now. Smooth and very quiet. But now the a/c doesn't work! I guess we now call the pro's and have it recharged....rats. And it was all going so well.

By the way, thanks, HayZee, for the quick response.

a/c

have the techs check for leaks and repair them! it's easy and expensive to just hook up a service gauge and add gas. your system is a closed circuit, in that no outside influence should affect it. leaks can occur if the original install didn't used sil-phos or silver soldered brazed joints. regular lead free solder [low temp] works fine on water where the pressure rarely exceeds 110 pounds per square inch, but an a/c runs normally at about 350 psi on the high side. regular solder will blow right through the joint. and the high side runs at a high temperature, sometimes enough to melt low temp solder. the suction side runs at about 50 psi. its a misnomer to call it the suction side because you right away think, suction, so there's a vacuum. not so. there is a measurable pressure. a/c cools because of a pressure difference at the evaporator. high pressure gas is admitted to the evaporator to a larger diameter tubing so there's a pressure drop as the gas turns back to a liquid. the liquid absorbs the heat and travels to the condenser where the latent heat is given off, and the liquid changes back to a gas. liquids cannot be compressed, gases can.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =