Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 636 3" piping

Hi, I am in the process of installing a new furnace. My question is regarding the 636 Intake and exhaust piping. I am just getting it all suspended and in place to be sure I have the slopes correct and pieces cut right, but in the process I have noticed that some of the pieces fit very tightly. I see this being difficult when the time comes to actually start cementing these in place. I have been advised to twist the pieces together to ensure a good seal, but I don't see how I can do that if they fit so tightly. Does the primer and cement work as a lubricant maybe? Or, is there any tips or tricks that I can use to make them fit better before I start actually cementing them together? Thanks.

I have been working on this again today. I am now wondering if the piping and fittings need to bottom out in each other, or should they just be twisted together as far as they can (obviously within reason, maybe at least an inch or so) and that would be fine. Just figured that may be a possibility as well. Thanks again for any help.

Comment

piping

you might use a primer/cleaner on the fittings and ends of the pipe. its basically acetone and it softens plastic. the cement should have particles suspended in the solvent. as it is applied to both the fitting and pipe end, it will kind of act as a lubricant until it seals itself within the fitting. the inside of the fitting has a slight taper, otherwise the fit would be very sloppy.

Comment

Thanks. I have the primer, so hopefully that helps. I have noticed that after I have them assembled and take them apart that they go back together a little easier the second time. Its too bad that I couldn't get away with 2" pipe, it seems a lot easier to work with, not to mention a lot cheaper as well. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Comment

636 piping

I looked into the 636 piping system.
          it is pvc and cpvc - poly vinyl chloride - the white stuff with a high operating temperature of 90 degrees C.
          the cpvc is chlorinated poly vinyl chloride - the gray stiff - its rating is 40 degrees C.

Comment

I am looking through the installation instructions and I can't seem to answer one question that I have. Can the intake pipe rise up to avoid something on its way back to the furnace? The exhaust is fine, but I need to rise the intake up slightly.

Comment

intake

where your pipe penetrates to the outside.install a three inch elbow pointed down.
              get a small piece of 1/4 inch hardware cloth and cut a circumference that will just fit the open end of the elbow.
              push the cloth into the elbow and secure it with a bead of silicone.
              it'll keep out pests and curious things. if the fit is snug enough you probably don't even need to glue it in place.

Comment

I was actually going to use the concentric vent kit. I was just wondering if it would be ok on the intake pipe to rise up with a 45 elbow and back down mid-run back to the furnace. I think there are certain slopes to be maintained, I just don't see why this would apply to the intake side.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =