• Wiring a 2 speed heater fan motor

Modern electric motors adhere to the leads being colored to identify them,
    WHITE = Common
    BLACK = High speed
    BLUE = Medium speed
    RED = Low speed
    BROWN = Run capacitor
    BROWN/WHITE STRIPE = Run Capacitor
    However sometimes we run across motors with strange colors or all black etc that precludes this,in this cases you
    can ohm the leads to each other to determine which lead is what. Grab any lead and ohm it to the remaining leads
    and note.
    Take the lead that reads the highest and ohm it to all remaining leads and note just as you did the 1st time.
    The 2 leads with the highest reading between them are Run and Start, this is because we are reading both windings
    in series.
    Common is the point the Run and Start windings are connected to each other, the Start winding is longest and has
    more resistance to Common than the Run winding does.
    The speed leads are from the Run winding with the Low speed reading higher to Common than Medium and Medium reading
    higher to Common than High speed.
    If you ohm the Run winding and then ohm the start winding, the 2 values should add up to the reading between Run and
    Start
    and as mentioned the speeds are on Run with the high speed being the lowest resistance to Common and Low speed
    reading higher.
    Example,
    The Run winding = 3 ohms to Common
    The Start winding = 5 ohms to Common
    So Between Run & Start should = 8 ohms
    Any remaining leads are speeds they will read something like this usnig the example of the Run winding being 3 ohms,
    The Low speed may read 2.3 ohms and medium 2.0 and High 1.7 ohms to Common.
    The speeds are on the Run winding which is 3 ohms so they must be less than that reading, they will be staggered in
    this way with the low speed reading higher than medium and medium reading higher than High and High speed reading
    the lowest to Common.

I have diagrams however I cannot post them I will try the photo section to post them for now.

That's very interesting. I have been repairing Motors for more years than I care to remember, but that's the mechanical end of Motors. Bearings, Start/Run Caps, Centrifugal switches etc. I have never been in the Rewind business, so that part never sunk in. The motors I work on are either Pool pump or Jet pump Motors. Single speed 3450 RPM. If you have a schematic of one of those, I sure would love to see it. I would like to know how to ohm it out. Although what you have already stated is probably the same except without the other speed wires.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =