Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Ignitor Philco (Nordyne) gas forced air Model G6Rl0C-12

Installed around 2000. Model No. G6RL060C-12 (converted for propane). Ignitors have been failing every 3-4 years. I've read up on these on the internet and think I can do it myself as preventative maintenance. So far, Pulled off burner cover and identified the ignitor which glowed red when furnace was turned on briefly. I see a 2 x2 inch flat panel on top of burner chamber (fastened by 2 screws) that appears to hold the ignitor from near the top of its ceramic. No problem. However, far back inside the heat chamber (behind 3 burner tubes) there's another screw. (positioned sideways) holding the ignitor bracket in place. Now - if that one needs to be loosened, it would be a much harder job, and I'm not sure how I would access it. I'd say it looks like somebody may have already roughed up the head a bit. Can the ignitor simply be pulled out and replaced from the top if I remove that small square top panel? If not, any tricks for working on it by someone who's replaced this one? Also, The two screws holding the 2x2 panel down from the top are only partially down and go in at an angle. And, the last guy to work on it spliced wires together using electrical connectors - probably because he didn't have a new igniter with the proper wiring "clip" attached. However, If I can figure how to pull it out and secure a new one, obtaining the needed part & wiring it in it together should be relatively simple. Taking the weekend off. Hope by next week somebody can shed some light on what I'm looking at. Thanks

FWIW - I have the manual, but practically worthless on this issue.
    Last edited by Jas7; 12-07-2013, 01:32 AM.
Working...
X
=