Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney flue

I had my chimney cleaned. The chimney vents my oil burner and runs up the exterior of my house. The sweep told me there were some broken tiles he cleaned out laying at the bottom of the chimney and that the chimney itself was pulling away from the house. He could rebuild it for $6,000. I asked if the chimney could be anchored to the house, to which he responded yes. (My husband has since anchored it). Now after doing a little research, I am concerned about these tiles. I believe he did see them, but not sure I would trust any course of action he may suggest. I really thonk he is more interested in getting $6,000 to rebuild a chimney. It is pulling from the house, but is otherwise in good condition, with the exception of broken tiles. Sounded like it was just a few pieces. From what I have read, does this sound like a case where a chimney liner is an option? If so, what is a ball park cost for a two story house? When is a liner not an option? Is carbon monoxide a great concern, since the chimney is on the exterior of the house?

Your question is a very difficult one (and potentially a dangerous one) to answer without physically seeing it. My best advice would be to get a second opinion and then post back your findings.
    Ask specifically where the tiles are missing from.

Sleaving a chimney is a much cheaper option than rebuilding it, $1 K - $2K max.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =