Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ac size question

Wondering if a 13 seer evaporator, will work with a 16 seer condenser. My furnace will only accept a 13 seer handler. Any thoughts??

SEER seasonal energy efficiency ratio, the BTU's are the factor you need to look at, if they are close it will work, the condenser is probably bigger so it's fine.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, both the evap coil and the condenser will be 3 ton, just that the coil will be seer 13 and the unit outside will be a seer 16, should I have any trouble doing this?

Comment

The units will work together fine, seer is a rating of effiency, this wont affect them working together, the seer will be the lower value of the two, like gas mileage, BTU's is like horsepower, kinda, Mick.

Comment

Thanks AKA. So is putting in the 16 seer condenser make
          sense at all or will it work less than a 13 seer condenser.

Comment

If you have not already purchased the system, can you get a condensing unit to match the evaporator SEER, if not the system should work, but the charge pressure might need adjustment if any cooling difficulties are encountered, but saying that, it most likely will be fine, but your 16 seer condenser wont return that seer matched to lower rated evap coil,
            Last edited by akaothermick; 03-16-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Here's the whole deal, during December we bought the 3 ton furnace for the basement. It's a split system so the evap coil sits on top of the furnace. The furnace has a width measurement of only 14". The only coil I can get to fit properly is the one I'm talkin about. It's a 13 seer. Would have liked to gone with a 16. Any thoughts.

Comment

I would not have a problem hooking it up, make sure the line set is the largest for the units and not over 25 feet, the 16 seer condenser wont really have the rating you paid for with the lower evap coil, Go for it,

Comment

Line set calls for 3/8 & 7/8. But 42 feet away. Not sounding to good huh, let me ask this. Is the 16 seer that much of a saving to allow a miss match..or should I purchase the 13 seer and forget it.

Comment

The line set needs to be the largest the system accommodates, not reduced, the 16 seer will not see any benefit if the evap is 13, if you already bought the 16 then use it, 13 for evap should ideally be matched to a 13 condenser, are you doing the install ? don't waste your money on 16 condenser if the evap is 13, or have a new plenum made for 16 evap, shorten up that line set if possible, or reduce the bends, less bends the better in a long run, less elevation changes the better
                    Last edited by akaothermick; 03-16-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The line set for the evap and the fan both call for a 3/8 liquid and a 7/8 suction. No I'm not the installer, just trying to understand this seer rating thing and what would be best for my money. I have not purchased yet and will be getting a 13 seer matching unit. As far as lines go, the run is that length now. The only thing I will do is run the lines, the installer will do the rest. Thanks again, I'll let you know how things go, should be able to do this soon, God Bless

Comment

Just Google "SEER rating" lots of good explanations, Google "SEER mismatch", you will get some that will explain that also

"

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =