Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gas to burners

I have a payne furnace that is about 15 years old. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the temp in the house when I got up was lower than the setting on the thermostat. The furnace was flashing a code 34. After resetting the unit, it worked fine. This would happen once every couple of days. Since it was intermittent, I really couldn't troubleshoot it, until yesterday when it stopped working. The ignitor would come on but there were no flames. It tried 3 times and shut down. I am trying to figure out if my problem is in the gas valve assembly or if maybe the circuit board that feeds the valve is bad. There are 2 green wires on one connector and a blue wire on the other connector. When I checked the green for voltage, it showed none, so I thought maybe that's ground. As I was checking the blue wire, the gas ignited, so I thought maybe the wire was loose. I shut it down and pulled the wire off and it was not loose or dirty. When I put it back on and fired up the unit, it stopped working again. I tried shaking the wires and tapping on the solenoid and relay on the valve assembly, but nothing worked. It is not working now, so I thought I would ask if there is a way to isolate my problem between the valve assembly and the circuit board. I only have a standard meter for diagnostics.

mark where the connectors go on the control board and remove the wires. now remove the board and flip it over. look at the soldered connections with a magnifying glass. use a low wattage soldering pencil and re-heat each connection carefully. stay away from the integrated circuit paths as these are very close together and chances that these are bad are far from not being unsoldered. pay especiallly close to where the blue connector went. may be just a cold solder joint.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      mark where the connectors go on the control board and remove the wires. now remove the board and flip it over. look at the soldered connections with a magnifying glass. use a low wattage soldering pencil and re-heat each connection carefully. stay away from the integrated circuit paths as these are very close together and chances that these are bad are far from not being unsoldered. pay especiallly close to where the blue connector went. may be just a cold solder joint.
      I have determined that I can get the propane to flow to the burners by playing with the wires at the valve. It has worked when jiggling the blue wire or the double green wires. I replaced the connectors but that didn't help. I am getting 25 volts to the valve. Do you still think a bad solder joint can cause the problem? Soldering is not something I am comfortable with and I'm afraid of destroying the board. I am leaning towards the valve assembly being the problem and I can get a used one for $50.

Comment

the loose or intermittent operation at the control board led me to believe the solder joint was bad. but you say you jiggled wires at the valve, so the control board isn't anywhere near the gas valve, so maybe the stab connections to the coils are intermittent.

Comment

They use a 3 wire pilot switch, it sounds like the pilot switch is bad a common problem.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =