Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changeover valve always energized

I had a Honeywell CT8611 thermostat installed a year ago. A Month ago I've started hearing a buzzing noise coming from my heat pump. After looking at it I've found the noise is caused by the changeover valve which remains energized when the system is set to cooling mode. Is this normal? I don't remember hearing this noise last year. Are these valves designed to be continuously energized even if the compressor is not working? Is it something wrong with the thermostat? If I set the system to heat the valve de-energizes and the noise stops.

What can I say some do and some dont here. When they first started with heatpumps the 4 valve was turned on for heat. But if it failed in the winter you didnt have heat just cool. So the big minds said lets let it in heat all the time. Then if some one wants cool we will put power to it and open it for that time and if it dont work they can still have heat. Now some make a noise some times you can just bump it and it will stop.
    One more thought here a programable tstat dont pay on a heatpump. When you set it back on heat snf it goes to pick up the heatit turns on the AUX heat so you spend what you saved. On cool set it and let it alone. The main thing for the AC is to get the humidity out of the home. AS it get the humidity down you will push the tstat up some. Cause you feel cool. And no it should not be on when you are not calling for cool

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Can you please clarify it a little? Are you saying the thermostat is not working properly if the valve stays on when the compressor is not working? If this is so, should I replace it?
      About your other point, I understand what you are saying about programmable thermostats, but I also think it depends on how you set it. I have noted some savings in my electric bill since I have it.

Comment

You have to check it out as to when it has power. Yes I think they have the tstat wired wrong The solenoid should only be on when the tstat calls for cool not all the time

ED

Comment

that particular tstat your refering to has little pins in the pack that must be straight or they can cause circuts to cross, but not short. you also could have a bare spot in the wire behind the tstat where it was hooked up to the subbase.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =