Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIxing Cast Iron Radiator and Copper Baseboard

Greetings. This is a hot water heat system. The back of our home is cool all winter. There are two rooms, kitchen and laundry room which each have a single cast iron radiator on the main house zone, single zone. A few years back a contractor sold me installation of 3 copper fin baseboard units in my laundry room, which is on it's own zone/thermostat. That zone gets hot water, but the copper baseboards are not enough to heat the room. The kitchen and laundry room cast iron radiators don't heat enough either because the rest of the house warms up and the main zone thermostat shuts down because the rest of the house is comfortable

QUestion, can I have the two cast iron radiators connected to the same zonethat currently has only the three three copper fin baseboard units. Seems to me worth a try because that way these rooms will continue to get heat when the main house zone thermostat is off?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I'm not much of a heating guy, however I had this setup atone of my old homes. It worked great til, now thats til,it got so cold the one week back in the early 80's that the furnace never shut off and it ended up blowing holes right through the copper pipeing that was in the baseboards. Could be that when they placed these baseboards in they did'nt use a heavy enough copper pipe

I thank god that I was laid off at the time and was home when this happened as the water was so hot that it burned the carpeting and the house felt like a sauna bath.

Right now I'm in another home and have just radiators. My pantry is'nt the warmest in the house as it has like a 3 rib radiator that is'nt even near an outside wall.

Comment

Maybe you could parallel off one of the feed lines and return lines and use its own zone valve with its own T stat installed in the laundry room.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =