Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusted air filter

I was down in my crawl basement to replace the air filter on the furnace and saw that the wire mesh on the old filter had rusted (filter was installed about 3 months ago). Is this something that I should be worried about?

Also, I have a question that I am kinda embarassed to ask - what direction is the air flow? I installed the filter with arrow pointing away from the furnace (a Trane lying horizontally, the filter location, if the furnace was standing upright, is at the top of the unit).

Filter is located in the cold air return to the blower -- arrows should be pointed IN towards the blower. If the screen is rusted like you say get a piece of expanded aluminum screen and replace the rusted metal piece. Its function is just to keep the filter media from being sucked into the blower works.

Comment

Filter rusting

I would probably go ahead and replace the wire mesh just to be certain that this is working properly.

Belleville Wire Cloth Company, Cedar Grove, NJ

Look there for some high quality mesh, but make sure you get a material that will not rust as easily this time around, 3 months is not an acceptable window.

Good Luck

Comment

posting is older than 6 years old. I doubt the OP will come back

Comment

Originally posted by joncro55 View Post
          I would probably go ahead and replace the wire mesh just to be certain that this is working properly.

Belleville Wire Cloth Company, Cedar Grove, NJ

Look there for some high quality mesh, but make sure you get a material that will not rust as easily this time around, 3 months is not an acceptable window.

Good Luck
          Always makes me laugh when somebody googles a topic and then they post on it no matter how old it is.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =