Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventless Fireplace

What is a ventless fireplace? How is it different from a normal one?
    Try

Vent-Free Fireplaces

Ventless or "Vent-Free" fireplaces are either propane or natural gas and 99% efficient. The one I have seen is a freestanding unit, but there are probably insert units available. I know you're not supposed to use them above 5000 ft. where the air gets thinner

Comment

My wife was told (by a Home Depot salesman) they were't allowed to sell them in Wisconsin because they were against the law. What law would this be? Anybody know of such a law because we sure would like to have one.

I can drive 45 miles to the Lowes in Iowa and buy one, but if there is such a law and my house burns down because if this fireplace I take it my insurance won't cover my house anymore.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I think the issue with ventless fireplaces is that it really vents into the room, and releases carbon dioxide into it. If certain malfunction occurs, then it can release carbon monoxide into the room, which could be deadly.
        Try

Comment

People say NOT to use outdoor heating appliances in the house - i.e. barbecue grills - propane fired. Propane when burned is supposed to emit water vapor and carbon dioxide. When ANYTHING burns carbon monoxide is produced + addtional products of combustion. What gives? Gas ranges that operate on natural gas, LPG and LNG is permitted in the kitchen. Still is a flame, still oxygen is used to operate them. Same products of combustion are produced. Whats the difference?

Comment

HayZee518,

A reasonable question. I would say that generally people use stoves when they are awake, and they are not using them to heat an entire small house or area of house. You aren't supposed to use gas stoves to heat a house. Just to cook and get it over with. Also, a range like this really should have a vented range hood over it so that it can discharge cooking and gas by products and then draw in fresh air from outside from wherever it can get in at. I'm sure that the gas range issue probably fell into that gray area category where bigwigs had powwows over this matter, and probably discussed things like occupants being awake while cooking, the fact that most people don't have all 4 burners going and the oven going all at the same time, for long periods of time, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy
              What is a ventless fireplace? How is it different from a normal one?

Troy,
              Here is a little reading I just came across, I've been searching for my local building code on Vent-free fireplaces for the last 2 hours and yet come across nothing.

Comment

ventless fireplaces

These ventless fireplaces are not allowed to be installed in any residential homes in Wisconsin that were built after 1980, and the local municipalities can and have extended that to all homes depending on your location. Below is a link to the state law that it falls under.
                http://www.commerce.state.wi.us/sb/S...02.html#Novent

These things are not the same as a stove, they introduce alot more CO and moisture into a home than a stove does. I personally think they should all be illegal cause they're dangerous and not worth the risk that you'll take in using one. Below is another link that'll explain in detail
                http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index...as_appliances/

Comment

Venting ventless

I am new to this forum, this is my first post...
                  I have a Vent free set in my fireplace, I still leave the flue open just a crack as a safeguard. Although my set has'nt been working... The pilot will remain lit, although when I crank up the flame, the set shuts down in a few seconds. Is this a problem with the thermocouple? Can I repair it myself? Could have used it the other night when the power went out!!!
                  Any suggestions???

Comment

I Would Say,dont Use Ventless As Your Main Source Of Heat.it Adds Moisture To The Air,but You Want Moisture In The Air.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =