Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• natural gas heater

Hello I have bought a hanging natual gas heater for my garage. The unit was built in 1974 but has never been fired. I was wanting to convert this unit to propane. It has a Robert Shaw control. Is there a simple inexpense way to do this? Where do I get parts? I know the orifices will need to be changed or atleast drilled out, but do I need to change the control also. The heater is manf. by Modine. I checked the Modine website but it does not list anything that old. What do you suggest?

Tom

Tom,

NO .... DON'T DRILL THE ORIFACE!!

If you are converting from natural gas to propane, you will need a SMALLER oriface. Propane is under much greater pressure.

Contact Robert Shaw, the furnace manufacturer or a local heating supply company to get what is called a "conversion kit". 1974 is awfully old, but you should be able to find something.

Better yet Tom, call a professional for this job. It is not that expensive, but CRITICAL that it be done correctly. Even a matter of life or death.

George

Comment

Tom,

One more thing. This unit heater is probably WAY too big for your garage. If you do have a professional install an LP conversion kit, ask them to de-rate it too.

Dropping the firing rate will help it operate much better.

George

Comment

Working...
      X
      =