Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Duct Work Condensation

I have a 13 year Trane central air unit. I was under the house working on plumbing and noticed that water droplets were hanging all over most of the ductwork. There was quite a bit of water. Is this condensation happening simplly because the insulation is old/bad? Or is it something more serious? Would new insulation wrap solve the problem. The ductwork is in a crawl space and the floor vents are open. We have had a lot of rain lately. Day time temps here are upper 80's.

Temperatures in a crawlspace are usually low and damp because of the ductwork. The air going through the ductwork is cool and the outside temp is higher causing condensation on the outside. re-wrapping with an aluminized fiberglass insulation will help your problem lessening the exposed metal to the atmosphere. use duct tape at the joints in the wrap - a quality duct tape not the inexpensive type.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks HayZee

We are trying to sell this house and have agreed to a price and have it under contract. We will probably have to give up a little off the seller's agreed price, but its good to know that reinsulating will help.

Comment

Musty Smell

Hayzee

I had never noticed this problem until the other day. However it must have been doing this all summer because now that I know about it I can smell a distinct musty odor in the house. Do you know of anything that will help eliminate or mask this odor?

Comment

try that spray stuff "febreez"

Comment

Working...
          X
          =