Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing master/slave thermostat

OK - new member here - wished I had checked this forum sooner as there was a thread in 2003 that *almost* answers my question completely. Here's the story:

- moved into a new house (16 years old)
    - want to replace the old "round" honeywell thermostats (one upstairs and one downstairs) with programmable ones (have done this before in prior houses with no big deal)
    - purchased "universally compatible" honeywell t-stats (RTH7400) from home depot. Went to replace the lower level t-stat and found O and B wiring (I was informed by honeywell that the RTH7400 would not work (they couldn't tell me why - just that I had to have a contractor install a t-stat given the current one has B and O wires)

I have the following wiring config (along with general info on my systems):

Manufacturer of old thermostat: Honeywell
    Model of old Thermostat: T87F 3715 3
    Model of old Subase: Q539A1436
    Type of heating system: Oil Warm Air
    Voltage going to thermostat: 24
    Air Conditioning? yes
    The number of wires going into old thermostat (donwstairs): 6 (R, Y, W, G, O, B).
    The number of wires going into 2nd old thermostat (upstairs): 3 (W, P, Y).

I thought I had it figured out, found LuxPro t-stats that hande separate O and B wires; ordered two of the Lux t-stats - unfortunately before I figured out the upstairs is different and I have a master/slave config. Lux customer service was incredibly responsive and helpful - unfortunately they don't have a slave programmable t-stat.

I have already purchased the following (actually two of them):
    LuxPro PSP711TS Touch Screen Thermostat
    Single Stage Heat/Cool, Programmable
    Specifications
    Heat/Cool Terminals: RH, RC, O, B, W, Y, G, C.

I still can use one for the downstairs master.

Question: what should I get for the slave (Upstairs) - I want to have a programmable t-stat for that one as well - is that even possible?
    ALSO: should I return the Luxpro and buy both the master and slave from one vendor so I don't have to learn two different T-stat user interfaces?

I'm almost to the end line on this one! any help is much appreciated!

I got one question - two thermostats on a common burner?? If your downstairs stat is set for a certain set point, what happens if the upper one is set higher? you mention its an oil hot air system. if upper stat wants the temp to be 85 degrees, what happens if downstairs wants 68 degree temperatures? If the two floors have separate dampers operated off the thermostats I can see it, but if both floors share a common trunk, then one floor is satisfied and the other one suffers.

Comment

From what I understand, damper control is integrated to the current system. If the two zones are calling for separate temps, the dampers open/close depending on the desired effect.

Comment

master/slave rulez

Comment

Working...
        X
        =