Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my Trane Furnace's Heat Exchange Crack?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my Trane Furnace's Heat Exchange Crack?

I bought my place about 5 years ago. It came with a Trane XE-90 which looked pretty much new. I have never had any problems out of the unit. I have the unit serviced every year. With this years service which happened about 2 weeks ago the guy after servicing unit told me it was much too big for my place. My place is close to 2000sf. He said it isn't running efficiently because it is too big. Service guy also said heat exchange will crack, but couldn't predict when. Said I needed a new furnace asap. Does this sound like a likely story?

the heat exchanger is nothing but a large drum which the gas or oil fire burns into and traps gases that are vented out of the house through a chimney. The area [air] around the exchanger is then blown into the house with a suitable blower. when the previous owners ordered and put in the appliance a square footage calculation had to been made to size it for the application. You being the second owner shouldn't be concerned. Anybody will try to sell you anything.

Comment

cracking heat exchanger

Hayzee is correct! They will try to sell you anything as long as you don't know much about what they (the service guy) are talking about.

When I bought my 1885 Victorian house last year I was under the impression that my two heating water boilers had been professionally serviced since they were being done by the Gas Company here in SE Wisconsin, so I didn't bother servicing them until this fall. Come to find out they must have been taking this guys money and not doing any kind of service/cleaning because when I opened up the burner chamber I vaccumed out 4 gallons of old crap in the bottom of the chamber, in fact it was totally covering the burner and you could not see a flame at all (maybe this is why I had a $1100 heat bill for last December). This year I did the service myself and included a outside temp sensor to automatically adjust the water temperature in my boiler. As of right now them burners on both boilers have hardly ran and the water circulator runs as it should instead of the burner running continously until the room is satisfied.

This just made up my mind, I will never have a company service my appliances again unless I am not able to get out of my bed.

Comment

if you have the knowlege to do your own work on your heating system thats great. on the other hand dont be calling your local service company at 11 o'clock at night because you need a part if your system breaks down, seen it a hundred times, those people are moved to the bottom of the list.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =