Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing bathroom heat and ventilation fan

The electric motor in BOTH of the Nutone bathroom ceiling fans has burned out or is making a humming sound. I have ordered and received 2 new identical model Nutone bathroom heating and ventilation fans. Unfortunately the size and shape of the mounting brackets for the electric motors (which are otherwise very easily plug replaceable) on the new fans have been changed over the years and I can not simply replace the motors. I am faced with having to remove the whole housings from the bathroom sheetrock ceilings. How do you remove a housing without completely bunging up the sheetrock ceiling? The housing is held in place by metal strips that extend behind the sheetrock as on most ceiling fixtures.

those straps above the sheetrock are nailed or screwed into the joists. you may be able to remove them by sawing with a fine toothed hacksaw. 32 or 64 tpi. replacing the unit into the sheetrock won't be a problem, fastening it into place might. you'll just have to try different things. the mounting box front should be flush with the sheetrock surface. perhaps if you measure back from the box edge and put in 1 1/2 inch long sheetmetal screws through the box and just above the thickness of the sheetrock - these screws will hold the box in place.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =