Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

My central heating and cooling unit is coming on but not blowing any air through-out the house. I can feel the cool or heat near the area where the filter pad is but that is it. Thermostat is fine. Belt? Switch? Blower Motor? Do these have a reset button or something?

better turn it off for now. Sounds like the blower system is down, eventually the unit will go out on some kind of limit, but I'd turn it off. Could be a bad fan switch, fan timer, control board, blower motor, broken duct, etc. I think you'll need professional help for this one.

Comment

some motors have a manual reset, but it went out on some overload - bad motor windings. bad bearing etc. A lot of induction motors have a thermally protected overload device that automatically resets when they cool off. Shut your system down and remove the filter and look inside with a flashlight. See if you have a belt driven squirrel cage fan. If its directly driven, try rotating the fan. If it is hard to turn then I'd suspect motor bearings and a thermally protected motor. If there is oil holes try putting in some three-in-one oil and see if you can free up the motor. If you can and get it to spin freely then set up an annual oiling frequency, say a few drops every six months. A lot of oil-lite bearings are porous bronze they call it sintered bronze in a flexible and felt packed bearing housing. The felt should be kept moist with oil.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =