Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No heat from Whirlpool PTAC/PTHP Unit

Thanks for hosting this forum. I have been reading many of the postings trying to find more information about in the wall HVAC units.

I bought a new condo a little more than a year ago that has Whirlpool Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner/Packaged Terminal Heat Pump units installed in the bedroom and living room. When they installed the units, they left about three inches of the metal sleeve sticking into the room. There has been a lot of condensation around the metal and inside the unit.

Last night the heater in my bedroom stopped working. (The outdoor temp was in the 20s and the indoor temp was in the lower 60s.) The fan still works, but it is blowing cold air. In the user manual, it says to make sure that no water gets into the fan motor, control box, or compressor terminals. I am wondering if it would be possible for water to get into any of these parts of the unit if there is A LOT of condensation around and inside othe unit.

An employee of the builder is coming out tomorrow to discuss some of the continuing problems that I have had with my condo and how they plan to resolve them. The builder also promised that this week or next they are finally (after more than a year) going to slide the units into the wall so that the metal will be in the insulated wall. They hope that this will take care of the condensation problem.

I would appreciate any ideas or information about my unit and why it might not be functioning so that I can discuss this with the construction company's employee.

Thank you!
    Carolyn

the only difference between an air conditioner and a heat pump is the reversing valve. what this does is change the direction of the gas flow in the air conditioner. In the summer the evaporator is passing chilled freon in the winter it is passing warm liquid freon laden with ambient heat from the outside. I know it sounds crazy but even at 20 degree temperatures there's heat out there!

Comment

I still have a question that I would like help with...

Could excessive moisture (dripping down the sides of the sleeve, pooling on top of the sleeve, and condensing and possibly dripping on the metal inside of the P-TAC unit) cause damage to the heating element, the wiring in the unit or something else, thus causing it not to pull heat out of the air?

(I do plan on hiring a professional to fix the unit, but would like to know if the year+ (I'm still waiting) that it has taken the builder to resolve the moisture problem could be related to the unit not functioning correctly.)

Thanks for your help!

Comment

condensate is normal as it is a byproduct of the air conditioning phase. it should either pool just under the fan and is thrown back against the condeser by a slinger attached to the fan, or left to pool and drain out of the pan through an outlet hole

Comment

What about condensation in the winter when it is heating? That's when I've had all the moisture problems with the units.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =