Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Fan Light Leaking Water?

This is a new construction (addition to existing house) master bathroom. In the cold New England weather, moisture from the bathroom air freezes or condenses in the fan exhaust vent. Later, when the fan is turned on, the warm air melts the frozen water and it runs down, through the duct, through the fan light, and puddles on the floor.

I'm not sure what the proper solution is here... whether I should access the new attic and insulate the duct or should it be moved? It's annoying than anything, but I'm sure the long term effects wouldn't be good.

I had this happen in a condo I lived in once. The duct was frozen solid with water and I had to remove the ice with a blow dryer. I just angled the duct so gravity would carry the water outside as opposed to running back inside and blocking up the duct.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

The bathroom duct in the attic should be an insulated one. I would check in the attic to see if this is the case. If not, replacing it with an insulated version should fix your problem. If it is already insulated, you might try insulating it further.

Comment

I'm not sure if the duct is insulated... I think it's like that dryer hose material. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =