Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace won't start automatically

I have a Wiel-McClain oil furnace, about 10 years old. Last week it would run for several hours just fine, then it would start getting chilly in the house, and the registers were cold. The thermostat setting didn't matter.

The dial on the temperature indicating gauge on the furnace was as low as it could get. I pressed the reset button on the small gray box near the motor and the furnace started ok. It ran normally for several hours, and quit again. Last Friday afternoon a technician checked it and said the motor was bad, so replaced it. It ran ok until late evening, then stopped again. The registers cooled, and the temp gauge was low again. I had to press the reset button. I'm a late nighter, and when I went to bed at 4 am, it was still working fine. By the time I got up around 9 am, the registers were again cold and I had to press the restart button.

The technician came again Monday afternoon and was puzzled. He replaced a sensor and made a couple adjustments and said that should fix the problem. That was around 3 pm.

It ran ok, but at 9:40 pm the registers were again cold and I had to press the reset button. Again, just a few minutes ago, about 2:15 am, I had to press the restart button.

Monday the technician said he could put the old motor back in. I asked if I would still have to keep pressing the reset button every few hours and he said yes because the motor is bad. He said it was overheating.

If that is why the old motor wasn't working, what is the problem with the brand spanking new motor that doesn't work either?

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be so I can suggest it to the technician next time I call?

Tonight, with the tv off and everything quiet, I noticed if I turn the themostat down, then up, something around the furnace makes a clicking sound, but the furnace wouldn't start. Is there any connection between that and the furnace problem?

your problem could mainly be in the ignition that'fires' the burner on a call from the Tstat.,and most Oil burner techs should be able to do some checks on this to be certain.
    Your also best to just get ANOTHER reputable Tech with some KNOWLEDGE to come in, make the diagnosis, and correct the problem once and for all.

Comment

I'm assuming that the burner is an oil burner. The high voltage transformer applies about 27,000 volts to the spark gap at the oil nozzle. The Cad cell is aligned to detect the fire which fans out out of the nozzle. The spark has to be maintained if you are to get a flame. Have your tech change out the transformer. As you get heat off the burner, the internal temp of the burner goes up also and maybe because of the age of the unit, the insulation of the transformer has broken down and the xfmr short circuits and doesn't supply the high voltage to fire off the burner - no flame the unit goes into lockout which as you found out you have to reset. Have him also check the gap. too far apart and with vibration the gap might vary sometimes make up ok and other times too wide so no spark.

Comment

[QUOTE=jwr4;19444]I have a Wiel-McClain oil furnace, about 10 years old.
        Hey, hayzee. your assumption that this oil furnace has an oil burner is correct......lol. did you think it was burning gas or propane or wood?

Comment

Hube - DOH! the mind is the first to go!

Comment

Ha !....tell me about it

Comment

Working...
            X
            =