Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater isn't producing heat

First off, I don't know squat about HVAC's, so if I say something that doesn't make sense, please forgive me. I have a RUUD (or RUDD, I forget the spelling) heat pump, and it isn't putting out any heat. I live in Arizona, and the last time I used it for heat was about a year ago, so I'm not sure when it stopped working. During the summer, I did replace my thermostat with an electronic one, so that may be the problem right there (wiring or something else stupid I did wrong). I put a LUX 500 on it, and the A/C works fine, but I have no heat, only room temp air comes out. Does anyone know if I can use this model? I read through most of the threads, but still can't get it working after trying some of the suggestions in other threads. It is using 4 wires, red going to the RC and RH, which is looped, green going to G, yellow going to Y, and blue going to W. I read here that white is usually for heat, but I opened up my heat pump, and the white wire isn't and never was connected inside. Since it worked before, I assume that I don't use it, but please correect me if I am wrong. Since I don't know anything about HVAC's, really the only thing I looked for was detached cables and fuses. I didn't see anything wrong with any cables, and a visual inspection of the 2 fuses (250 volt 60 amp) seemed ok. I am going ot purchase a multimeter, and test the fuses, but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions? I know it would be cheaper to just buy new fuses, but I need a multimeter anyway, so if anyone suggests that, that is my reasoning. Also, I looked for some sort of wiring diagram inside the unit, and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

You need to obtain a manual for this unit to identify your HEAT relay wire with-in the unit. At the thermostat W is to HEAT RELAY ... G is to the Fan Relay.... Y is to the cooling contactor. R is to the L1 (HOT) Check out the instructions for this thermostat for combatability with THIS unit, as you say there is only 4 wires. Also is R and Rc jumped or not ? Hube

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hube. Yes, the RC and RH are looped or jumpered together. The thermostat is compatible with a 4 wire setup, but I'll see if I can find some sort of compatibility list. I'll also try to find a manual for the internal wiring as well. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =