Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot won't stay lite - NO HEAT!

I know nothing about heaters but it seems that my heat is broken! I have electric ignition for a gas furnace. The pilot light starts by making it's usual blue flame and a nice "whoosh" sound but almost immediately the clicking (of the ignition) starts again and the flame is out. It continually does but obviously I am getting no heat. The fan is fine but I am getting increasing cold and it is the weekend to boot! Help!

Amanda; Electronic ignition has no pilot.(persay)... You say "you know nothing about them".... I don't mean to sound cruel, but to play it SAFE, in this case, bite the bullet, call in a PRO, You will feel better in the long run. Hube

Comment

Thanks for responding but now I am really confused! With electric ignition for a gas furnace, I was pretty sure that I was seeing the blue flame (calling it a pilot ?) of the gas thru the front of the furnace. If there is no pilot - what I am seeing and how do I should I properly describe it to the gas company?

Comment

Amanda;Since YOU said "it has electronic ignition", and now maybe it does'nt? But if you SEE a pilot light, then you MUST have a pilot light to ignite the main burner. if you have a pilot and it keeps going out it can have an accumalation of lint/dust etc. remove it and blow it out. Seeif that solves the problem. Let us know how you make out, Hube

Comment

Hi again,
          I am no good at explaining this - sorry! The reason I said it has electric ignition is 1) there is a sticker on furnance that says it 2) when I had a service man here before for another problem he said it was a crazy set up but electric ignition. I guess what is happening is that the pilot is lighting the main burner but within 10-30 seconds the main burner goes out (it's as if an enormous gust of wind comes and blows it out). Sometimes the pilot then goes out and sometimes it stays lit and seems to be trying to light the main burner again - to no avail. I am sure I will have to call someone in but it helps if I know what I am talking about as they charge by the hour and are pretty expensive. Thanks again for all help!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =