Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting Glass Sunroom to Regular room?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Glass Sunroom to Regular room?

I have a glass 4 seasons room, that I can use the entire year. However, most if not all the windows have condensation and or foggy. In the winter it is freezing in there except in the day when and if the sun is shining, and in the summer it is scorching. We have ac/heat ducts going in there and also another gas wall unit heater, but it still isn't enough. We wanted to replace the windows but at $21800, and with the rating at R4 compared to putting up a regular wall and shingled roof, we feel it may still not be good enough to use all year. Has anyone converted or have any ideas/suggestions? We love the glass look, just not the feel. Thanks in advance

there are certain trade-offs that you must accept with this sort of room. if the ribs are tubular aluminum and the struts overhead are also aluminum channels, with glass installed, aside of destroying the asthetic look, there's no way to install a standard framing practice and expect to come out as good or better than you already have it. double wall or triple wall glass with dry nitrogen inside will eliminate the condensation. the aluminum if not filled with a kapok or vermicullite mix will sweat.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The aluminum is sweating also, another point I forgot to mention.Is our best bet, remove all glass and framing and do a standard room using the old footprint w/shingled sloped roof, big bay window and maybe skylites to enjoy some of the sky? How do you think cost would be compared in building this to changing glass for $22K? Thanks

Comment

if you have access to a tablesaw, you could make use of your existing glass by making wooden frames for them and using them in your new construction. use 2x6's for the walls and I think you can get in r-19 for insulation. check with your building inspector for the rafters for the ceiling/roof. you may get away with 2x8's and he may want you to put in 2x10's. Cost?? I built an addition for my place 15' X 17' and went up a story and a half for about $12,000.

Comment

I know it wouldn't be the best looking thing, but how about if I painted the top windows on the sunroom with silver paint to reflect the sun? I have the rolling electric shades that are always down anyway, so from inside the room it wouldn't be noticeable? Any thoughts?

Comment

aluminum paint would reflect more sun but without a glass surface preparation - don't know how long it'd stick. hydroflouric acid etches glass.

Comment

thank for all the help HAYZEE, I am not sure what will end up doing, but a complete remodel, minus the glass looks like it may be the answer, thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X
              =