Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Air Conditioner; Replace?

Need please another experts opinion: just had maintenance check and technician stated for my loutdoor 10 year old York central a/c unit, it was drawing high amperage (17.9 amps with outdoor temp about 65 degrees) and windings for the compressor read at 20 or below on a megaohm (sp?) tester. The tech said the a/c unit was therefore in poor condition and should be considered for replacement. Also noticed sound of bubbling in copper freon lines. This has been a reputable company, and I wanted to bounce these facts off anyone with similar expertise - as I would have to spend his qoute of $3,950 to buy/install an American Standard Allegiance 13 air conditioning unit, along with new a/c condensor (?) coils over my existing funace (supposedly, I have to go with Allegiance 13 because they are the only coils with width area that will go over my existing furnace).

Do these technical facts (amps, etc.) and price to buy/install appear reasonable? Thank you in advance for helping me - I am not an expert in this area.

look on the compressor nameplate for the amps. compare this to what the tech said. I assume you have a site glass on the low side line. It is with this site glass that you can see bubbles in the freon line. if there are bubbles then the unit needs freon. have the tech check for leaks at each coupling or fitting. this also applies to where there are any inline splices in the copper tubing both low side and high side. silver-phosphorus solder is often used for splices and brazing of the lines. check the TEX [thermal expansion valve] this is soldered into the system but the bonnet is bolted on with a gasket between the valve body and the expansion unit. the cappillary is mounted on the low side bottom - the distribution lines 4-6 come off the TEX and feeds to the evaporator manifold.

Comment

Central Air Conditioner; Replace?

Thx very much; the plate says 19 amps, but the technician said that 19 amp rating is for a hot day. Mine showing now, @ 17.9 amps with an outside temp of 65 is too high, the tech said. That sound logical?

Comment

I think he's feeding you a bunch of crap. If the nameplate says 19 amps then that is what the thing will draw loaded. It is possible for the amps to be a little lower unloaded but the design specifications are for 19. The motor inside the compressor is swimming in an oil bath. that oil flows with the freon throughout the system. the motor itself is vertically mounted in bearings and the compressor part is just like your car with crankshaftand a horizontal piston and tempered steel spring like valves. sometimes one piston sometimes two depending on the tonnage of your unit.

Comment

Central Air Conditioner; Replace?

Thank you very much for your response! I'm now getting a second opinion before dropping appx $4K into a system I may not need at this time.

Again, thank you so much for helping me.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =