Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding kitchen exhaust

Hi, we just moved in to this new house. The exhaust/fan we have above our stove seems to be working. I have this impression that the fan/exhaust is suppose to suck in the air/steam/smoke when we cook instead of blowing it out the entire house. Our house smells like food everytime we cook. I thought that if there is a fan above the stove, it will help contain or eliminate food smell. Do you think there is something wrong with how they set it up? If so, how do we correct it? Thanks a lot.

sometimes they exhaust outside and other times they just blow out the top and back into the kitchen. Pull the metal filter and see if it's ducted outside. If not you have your answer, otherwise make sure nothings blocking the outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by mud View Post
      sometimes they exhaust outside and other times they just blow out the top and back into the kitchen. Pull the metal filter and see if it's ducted outside. If not you have your answer, otherwise make sure nothings blocking the outlet.
      There is a duct leading up to the roof. I tried to open the metal filter and I saw what looks like a metal sheet across and not a hole leading to the duct. There is also some sort of a window (I dont know what its called) in front just beside the switch and there is a cover for it. I covered that "window" and the air blew it away, which means that the air is coming in instead of blowing up the duct. What should I do? Do you think it is safe to open the thing, unscrew the fan and see if I can open something in there? I dont know. Hope you understand what I am trying to say here.

Comment

the flapper inside or "damper" is a gravity operated device. if there's a grease build up along the edges a good cleaning is all that is required. when the vent fan operates this damper is supposed to open and vent the exhaust up and out. if there is a restriction it will just bypass the damper and come back into the room.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =