Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC not blowing cool air

Help, put on ac for 1st time this spring (furnace 10 yrs old) heat pump about same age. It is all electric. Although the fan is going on the heat pump, it is blowing very little cool air. I check circuits and they appear to be "on". I opened front panel of furnace and noticed a 1" or so layer of white ice on top of all the coils? Is this layer of ice normal? Or may i have a furnace problem.

I looked all around for a reset switch on furnace, but did not see one? Any ideas why I am not getting cool air?

Thanks,
    Steve

Although the fan is going on the heat pump,
    what about the supply fan?? were the coils are freezing??? low air flow or a low freon charge will cause icing
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Bob,

How can I tell if supply fan is operating properly. It has been about 4 years since technician recharged system. Should freon last last only 4 years? How can I tell if low freon or low air flow. There seems to be pretty strong air flow inside the furnace?

Comment

do you have a good flow at the registers??? if so probably freon.

yes if there is a slow leak, you could need another charge, and have the tech find the leak this time
        Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Bob,

Actually once I melted the ice and turned AC back on, flow was real strong, however when I turned AC off again (so I can place front panel back onto furnace) then when I turned ac back on 2nd time, flow was not strong at all (could barely feel breeze).

Comment

check your filter.... is the coil clean???
            Is it beer thirty??

Comment

if the air flow over the evaporator is colder than the unit's it will freeze into ice. the moisture on the evaporator is condensing into water which because of the freon's temperature is freezing. have your tech check all joints with an ultrasonic leak detector - a propane glow bar sniffer will work but the ultrasonic will detect pinpoint leaks and not be affected from "blow by air."

Comment

Sounds to me as though you have a clogged air filter or dirty coil, I have found more than one time where a dirty filter from the past was sucked into the unit and stuck right on the coil. This would cause the inside coil to freeze over and since you said it had barely any flow once you put the cover back on I would check this first. Freon would be my last thing to check in this situation.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =