Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a second thermostat

Hello,
    This is my first post and I hope to get some needed guidance. We live in a 3 level townhouse and the builder installed the themostat on the bottom floor---the least used floor of the house. The HVAC system in on the second floor. We want to install a programable thermostat on the second floor because it would be more convienient to adjust the temperature whenever we want it. Is this something that can be done by a novice or should we hire an electrician? Is an electrician the right man for this kind of job or is there a HVAC guy we should consider.

Thanks A Lot!
    Hubert

You should leave the stat where it is, and simply "BALANCE " the sytems air flow. I am assuming this is a forced air ducted system? A qualified HVAC person is the best one to do this adjusting, as it will take damper setting, and air measurements on the complete system to do it properly.By adjusting the air flow to the various levels, etc, when the temperature reaches the set point, all the levels will be the same. Hube

Comment

I assume your question has to do with convenience rather than how well the system heats/cools. The installer may have located the stat where it is because that's where it works best. Moving it may or may not affect the system's operation. A furnace man could tell you this.

As to the actual wiring, either an electrician or HVAC person could do this. Get a quote from both.

Depending on how much of a 'novice' you are, you could do it, or hire a reasonably competant handyman. All you need is enough thermostat cable to run from the old location to the new. Remove the thermostat, splice the new wire to the old, then reinstall the thermostat to the end of the new wire at the new location. Just match the connections as they were originally. The hardest part is running the wires through the walls. You could hit a water pipe or an electric cable. If any of this worries you, then you should hire a professional.

Comment

Assuming your concern is merely convenience, you could do it, so could either an electrician or furnace guy. If everything is operating ok, it may be that the stat is in the best place. Moving it could upset the operation. A furnace guy could tell you that.

To do it yourself, all you need is enough thermostat wire to run from the old to the new location. Remove the stat, splice the wires, reinstall the stat at the new location. Usually there will only be 3 or 4 wires, just match them up as you go. The hard part will be running the wire through the walls, avoiding water pipes, electric cables, etc. If any of this worries you, hire a pro.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =