Fireplace smell when Central Air runs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • briora
    New Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 11

    #1

    Fireplace smell when Central Air runs

    When my A/c runs I there is a strong odor of a fireplace ash / fireplace smell. It's comming from the fireplace area since it only smells in the living room that the fireplace is in. The A/cis in the basement and the fireplace on the first floor. I checked the damper and it's fully closed.

    Not sure why I am getting this fireplace smel, I did,t happen last year. Over the winter I did burn in the fireplace about once every 2 weeks. I am concerned about why it is flowing in the house, shouldn't it go straight up the chimney. I hope there is no issue with dangerous air flowing back in the house. Is this common or should I be concerned?

    Thanks,

    Brian
  • HayZee518
    Deity

    • Jul 2004
    • 8746

    #2
    the air conditioner is creating a negative pressure in the ducting system in the house to circulate conditioned air. its pushing the colder air into the house and "sucking" the heat laden air into the a/c system. any air leaks in the house will be in this "convected" air of which the chimney is a direct source to outside air. any odors within the chimney are picked up and re-circulated in this air loop. other than the stink I wouldn't worry about any "gases" that are harmful. there's no combustion in the fireplace.

    Comment

    Trending

    Collapse

    • hawkins111
      Laser 730 over firing
      by hawkins111
      Has anyone had an occurrence of a Laser 730 or 731 over firing?
      The top of the heat chamber and the heat exchanger glow red on high when this occurs....
      11-12-2024, 10:29 AM
    • 911Restoration
      Fireplace Woes
      by 911Restoration
      Lit our fireplace for the first time this season last night and the whole living room filled with smoke, alarm went off. Chimney was cleaned last year...
      09-22-2026, 03:14 PM
    Working...