Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat pump mystery

Hello all, I don't like farming jobs out, but I had to this one. Since then I have found out my contractor isn't real knowledgable. Here is the problem:

Last spring I had my original hvac moved and changed from a gas furnace to electric and switched to a heat pump. Then a couple of cold days hit and I turned on my heat. Furnace would kick on, run the temperature in the house down 3 degrees and then the emergency heat would kick on. I called and he said it probably needed charged but it was too cold to charge it. I ran on emergency heat. It got warm and the ac worked good. It started to get cold again and I called him and he came out. We found out the top half of the A coil is hot and the bottom half was cold. One time it was like 75 degrees in the house and he turned on the heat and it was blowing 60 degree air. So he came out and replaced the flow restricting piston. It blew warmer air. He said since we changed the pressures with that piston it needed charged. He doesn't have a clue now and I suggested maybe too much fan. He went down there and said the fan was set on the slowest setting so he moved it up to medium (I think he moved it from high to med). Same problem. I have to cool the house in order to heat it.

I do know he has all banks of emergency heat wired together, so when it calls for eheat they all kick on. I was also wondering if the heat pump is supposed to run when the eheat comes on. My heat pump runs all the time the eheat is on. I also know the upstairs in my house is about 15oo sqft. he installed a 3 ton heat pump with a 4 ton air handler. i have the model #s if they would help. If anyone could give me any info I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

the heat pump part of your air conditioner is just a reversing valve in the freon line. AC operation uses the evaporator and condenser. The cool coil is the evaporator the heat remove is the condenser with a fan blowing through it. when the reversing valve operates it changes the direction of freon flow through the system. the condenser absorbs outside heat (geo-thermal) and with the help of freon passes it through the evaporator in the form of heat. the blower on the A coil blows warm air. if the outside temperature requires it an auxillary heater is installed to back up the geothermal heat generated by the system. the heater could be multiple elements connected to a heat sequencer which is a series of contactors pulls in at each desired stage of heating.

Comment

Your heat pump is most likely 13 SEER, since that is the lowest SEER that has been manufactured since late 2005. If he installed that on an older AC coil which likely 10 SEER, you will never get the heat pump to work correctly. You run the risk of compressor damage, which if the manufacturer finds out about an installation "boo-boo" may not honor the warranty. Have a good HVAC guy check out the system from top to bottom.

The fact that he changed the piston indicated a flow problem, and if the units are mis-matched, the piston change is only a minor improvement. All manufacturers require ARI matched systems.

Comment

thanks so far

I was just going to let you know that he changed everything including the a coil. I do believe it is a 13 seer.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =