Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney woes

Ok,

I am a renter of an old (60+ years) 3 story house. I used a small wood stove in our kitchen last year. I inspected the chimney (up to the roof line) inside the house, and it appeared very solid.

This summer I decided to make my way up to the roof top, and found that from the roof line up, almost every brick was loose, all the mortar is crumbling and missing completely in many spots. In addition, I discovered that there was no cap at all, just exposed bricks.

Anyway, I decided to not use a stove any more, and told the land lord that the chimney above the roof line is in desparate need of repair.

My land lord has now taken the position that the crumbling mortar, the loose bricks, essentially all of this damage was caused by my 3 month use of this little wood stove.

I told him that it was just age, neglect, and being exposed to the elements. I told him there are spots with no mortar at all, and that my stove couldn't have done that damage to the mortar and brickwork.

So I'm just looking for a little confirmation that I am not way off base here? I just think this chimney has fallen into neglect, and the land lord is trying to pawn it off on me.

Thanks

seeing its happening at the top, i would think that is exposed to the elements (freeze/thaw) and being 60 years old it probably needs some tuck pointing.
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

That is correct. The brickwork in the attic still appears intact just as it did last fall.

Comment

tell yer ll to get off his duff and get to repairing HIS structure! A house 60 yrs old with mortar and exposed brick will weaken with age. a lot of bricks supplied are very porous, they weren't baked like modern day brick. when it rains they soak up mloisture like a sponge then dry out in the sun. their binders weaken and they self destruct.

Comment

Yeah, that is a problem. He is one of those people that likes to con work out of everyone. I don't know how he does it. He was even able to get the State to come out and clear all the ditches on his property.

I think he is most upset that I just won't bend over and admit he is right!

Comment

BUT he is NOT right just lazy. Don't give in!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =