Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best gas line ?

Can csst ( the flexible yellow stuff ) be installed through the attic of an attached garage? Or is flexible copper piping the way to go? The gas service line is in one corner of the garage, while the ideal heater location in in the opposite corner. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated !

If we are talking natural gas, some areas do not allow any copper to be used for that. Check with your local building departmentl. There was a time when you could not purchase CSST unless you had a certificate of factory training. Today, with the internet and all, it is more available. But remember, it is still gas. Leaks are bad!

If copper is OK, there should not be any mechanical joints in concealed locations. In a garage attic, that would be a matter of on-site interpretation.

And gas work always requires a permit and inspection, even where homeowners are allowed to do their own work.

Comment

I never seen copper used for gas piping. For propane soft drawn copper tubing and flare fittings yes but not for natural gas. All I've seen is black pipe and screw together fittings. In Massachusetts ALL piping is hard piped. And you need a gas license to plumb fixtures.

Comment

In Pennsylvania you can only use any type flex connection for a very short distance. 6 feet I believe. Furthermore, Most codes that I know of requires you to use steel pipe through walls and floors. So the realality of it is, you need to run steel pipe all the way to the furnace with a shut valve at the furnace, and you will need to make a water drop also. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =