Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payne plus 90 furnace

I have a new problem with my furnace now. The old problem was fixed after replacing the gas valve.

The issue now is that the collar that connects( i think it's the vent pipe) the inducer motor to the collector box is leaking. I had the collector box replaced 2 years ago and it seems like it's holding up. I took out the inducer motor with the fan and saw that there is some water in the collector box. I checked the drain tubes and they don't appear clogged. There is also no water trapped in the pipes. Where I saw the leak coming from is that the collar that is above the inducer motor and collector box to the vent pipe is leaking at the joints. I tried to pull the collar off but I think there is a screw at the back that I can't get to. I think I might have to pull the collector box off to get to the screw. But that means I have to get RTV to reseal the collector box.

1. Does the collar need to be sealed with silicone or some sort of rtv?
    2. Do I have to pull the collector box out to fix the joint?
    3. if i have to pull the collector box, is there a special high temp rtv that I need?(what's on there now is a red color type of rtv)
    4. Or is the problem bigger than just a leak at the collar?

I wanted to get some opinions before I tear into things any further.

Thanks.

Permatex makes a black rtv that's supposed to be resistant to 500 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      Permatex makes a black rtv that's supposed to be resistant to 500 degrees.
      found the red one from walmart that's good up to 500 degrees and resealed it all yesterday. hasn't leaked since then.

Thanks HayZee

Danz

Comment

Working...
      X
      =