Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, your steam lines are just black pipe, not galvanized. when water or vapor ladened steam contacts the inside of the pipe it starts to rust the pipe. no need to worry tho - it'll take a very long time to rust through. boiler manufacturers make an additive you add to the boiler water to lessen the effects of rust inside the pipe. if you had a two pipe system then the steam would pass through the radiator, heat the radiator and the condensate would return to the boiler to be re-heated. but because of the one pipe system, your radiator is condensating the steam into water where it rusts the pipe. there's no way around it. you will get sputtering rusty water or vapor out of the air valve.

Comment

Reply to HZ

Dear guys,

The same plumber came back on Jan. 18 for 2nd time, put on a new valve (air vent) and installed what they claimed "brand new heat steam radiator" but it looked rusty to me.

Over the weekend, I spent a few hours there and spotted "water spit out from the air vent" whenever the heat was travelling up to my apt, NOT just one or two drops. I know you guys have suggested I put paper towel on the top of air vent to see what is happening. But I am afraid of messing up. Now I am wondering if that be the leveling problem that the water cannot go back to the one pipe system? I am sorry about the duplicate questions but I really don't know what to do with it.
      Last edited by sw1015; 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Leaking air valve.

I have the same issue on my co-op. I am still trying to figure out how to fix the problem. Waters spurt out of air valve everytime when heat is running. I guess it's because I live on the bottom floor.

Comment

Originally posted by sw1015 View Post
          Thanks for HZ & HS's prompt reply!!!

I have been told that a new computerized heat sensor system installed in the co-op building recently ~ it evaluates the temperature of select apartments and adjusts the release of heat throughout the buildings based on an aggregate of the interior temperature readings.

I have not moved in due to this on & off hassles. Per my visits, I know the heat is NOT on all the time, normally every 2-3 hours, heat will travel to the apt. via the steam pipe.

I have put some white paper towel right below the radiator. Yesterday, I stopped by and saw more water stains with black particles on it. (see attachment). Can you tell what are those black particles are?
          If the little black particles are in the system and are coming out of the bleeder,
          that would cause the bleeder to leak, so if they put a new bleeder in ,it will leak the same way. A bleeder has a float and seat in it. When air goes into the bleeder the float drops and lets the air out, and when the steam hits the bleeder the float get pushed up against the seat to stop the steam. If any dirt gets on the seat it will not seal. later Paul

Comment

Air valve leak

I think the black things on the steam/water is due to the rust from the pipe or the rust on the furnace. The only wait to stop this water from coming out of the air valve is to shut off the valve on the radiator, but it will also shut off the radiator.

Comment

Same Problem

Hi,

I found this thread because I am having the same problem in a co-op apt in my bathroom. The steam valve is spitting out water, while the heat is on.

If it is broken, which I'm guessing it is, can anyone send me info on how to repair it myself?

That would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

the steam valve has a brass seat. this mates with a carbon disk at the end of the stem. the stem itself uses a graphite string packing in that tall part below the gland nut. the top part of the valve is removable to service the disk. you'll need at least a 24 inch pipe wrench to remove it.

Comment

Steam valve

I drew a diagram, best of my knowledge of what's in a steam valve. the bonnet which is the upper part of the valve can be removed and the whole stem unscrewed and taken out.

Comment

Originally posted by MJG2012 View Post
                    Hi,

I found this thread because I am having the same problem in a co-op apt in my bathroom. The steam valve is spitting out water, while the heat is on.

If it is broken, which I'm guessing it is, can anyone send me info on how to repair it myself?

That would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
                    First we need to find out is this valve you are talking about, at the bottom of a cast iron radiator ,or is it the air bleeder in the top of a cast iron radiator?
                    A pic. would be nice. Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =