Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor 422

Hi
    today my burn pot overflowed and filled my intake chamber with oil. I took the entire heater apart and cleaned a lot of oily crunchy shmeag out of the burn pot. I know I need a burn matt and a seal for the heater element. Are there any materials I can use to make my own. The oil looks like it was leaking from the heater element seal. When I went to remove the heater element it seemed as though it was glued in. I have been running Biodiesel which could be part of my self destruction. I am having trouble finding any info and parts on this heater except one shmuck named Al who claims these heaters are doomed from the beginning. Thanks for the help
    Clint

don't even bother going to Al Lucey's site. He's high on badmouthing Monitor Products Industries. He has links to a parts section that don't exist. If you need a burn mat a distributor will have one but it'll cost around 45 bucks - overkill. I made my own burn mat from some non asbestos fireproof insulation I got from McMaster-Carr. It seems odd that fuel would leak from the element opening as it is higher than the fuel inlet ( that copper/brass tube) RUTLAND stove and gasket cement is ideal for creating a seal. That with some of the fireproof insulation will seal the element opening. under the heater cover is a bracket with two screws and the element slides out.

Comment

I forgot to say the pot had about 1 inch of shmeag built up, the heater element was submerged in this oily,crunchy, half burnt bio mess. Last night I looked closly at the burn pot and noticed little factory pinholes all over the pot, even down real low. I believe the oil was leaking from these holes which are over the element but below my crud line. I don't know if the soleniod was stuck open on the pump causing the fuel to keep dumping into the burn pot creating the mess on my hands now. I wish I had a service manual.

Comment

oh yeah so I can use the silicone to install element? When I removed it I had to use a srewdriver to chip away what was like a cement to pull it out.

Comment

Monitor

First of all completely drain all your fuel in your tank and never use biodiesel or even diesel with the additive. Use clean dyed or undyed kerosene. Take apart your "pot" and clean everything out of it. The burner holes are around the insides of the combustion pot. there should be no holes in the pot base if there is then you need to replace the burner pot. I took a picture of my heater with the front panel off it. maybe this will help you.

Comment

Everything has been drained and taken apart the pot is good shape I just need to get that matt you were talken about and can the element be siliconed in or is their something special that is supposed to be their?

Comment

nawww nothing special - I used 500 degree rtv silicone to hold mine in place. I slathered some on the matt bottom and affixed it in place then let it sit 24 hrs to set up. because heat off the mat is directed upward when the kero burns plus there's air flow to the bottom of the combustion pot I don't think the temperature gets close to 500 degrees.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =