Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Hot H2O Heater- Pilot does Light but Doesn't Stay

Hello all. I thank you in advance for your time.
    I've got a 1987 Kenmore "The Economizer 5" hot water heater. (the name alone scares me-- sounds like a bargain basement model to me.)

Anyway, I've been having to re-light the pilot almost every day. It lights without a problem, but within a day or two i'll notice I have no hot water -- yikes! -- and I have to re-light it again. Obviously something's not right here.

Before I call a serviceman, I thought I'd go online and see what the problem could be... should I try to replace the thermocouple? Or is it called a "thermal couple." I've seen it referred to both ways.

Other posts I've seen talk about cleaning it with a wire hanger and also going to the gas meter and cleaning out some sort of "upside down tee."

Where should I start?

Thanks so much.

Is the hot water heater installed in an attic? Reason I ask this is because furnaces installed in an attic seem to have pilot burner issues. Other than that have you tried cleaning out the venturi? that's the tube that goes from the gas valve to the burner head assembly. wasps and spiders have nests in these burner tubes. your pilot seems to stay lit so I'd eliminate the thermocouple subject.

Comment

Basement-Dweller

Hi HayZee! No, the hot water heater is in the basement.

Thanks for the venturi info. I'll see if I can find a picture of one so I know how to clean it.

Comment

H.W. Heater

I drew a sort of diagram for you. Yours may be close to this as they don't vary much. the movable sleeve next to the venturi allows you to vary the flame by adjusting for more or less air. the flame tips change from a deep blue to yellow and/or orange tips.

Comment

Wow.

Thanks so much for the diagram. You really go above and beyond, HayZee. So i guess i've got to actually "get in there" and take this apart. What safety precautions should I take? Turn off the gas just to the water heater?

Comment

yeah just shut off the gas supply to the valve. there should be no a.c. power connected to it unless it has a combustion blower (inducer motor) connected to the stack going into the chimney. if there is shut off the power to it. then go after them spiders!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =