Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Ktchn on platform?

Hi, I am trying to build an island that will house my sink, dishwasher and gas oven. Because of the structure of the building I can not go under the existing floor. Does anyone see a problem with laying the piping needed on top of the existing floor and building a 6" platform over it so that you have to step up into the kitchen? The island will make the kitchen a narrow galley type kitchen so the platform would only be about 3' wide.....

Seems a little drastic to build a raised floor for an island, you need to make sure you still will have 8' of head room as well as access to the plumbing and electrical under the raised floor.

To do what you are wanting to do, the entire kitchen would need to be removed, the raised floor built and then all the cabinets installed on the new raised floor. In doing this ALL your plumbing and electrical would need to be reconfigured and moved at least the 6" up wards, or if your moving the sink from the wall area the plumbing Wye in the wall would need to be moved down, then across and then back up.

What makes you think the area is unsuitable for plumbing in the existing floor ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for responding. The is NO existing kitchen, I am starting totally from scratch so that won't be an issue. I am on the 5th floor of a 100 yr. old building and apparently the beams run the wrong way for what I would need, which would require drilling into them, the building will not allow me to do that. Plumbing and electricity are currently 20" from the floor and gas is 17", thought that may be sufficient if I were to put a 6" platform to lay the pipes under? The real issue is that I have a spectacular view out of my living room window (it is currently an open kitchen design with the back wall being the kitchen) and it just doesn't make sense to always be facing the back wall when working in the kitchen.... This has been a two year project of kicking ideas around and I am tired of not having a kitchen!

Comment

wow a 2 year kitchen less project.....being an old building then I take it you have plenty of ceiling height ?
        If so, then make your raised floor and plumb in the floor, as your starting from scratch then there shouldn't be a problem.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =