Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Hydronic Heat and Ductless AC

Greetings,

I am interested in putting Hydronic Heat and Ductless AC (such as the Mr. Slim products) into my 1500 square foot house. I dont want to do the 756 square foot basement until I finish it next year. Basically the point is to replace the forced air heating and cooling systems with something that can have heating zones, quiet usage and is more amenable to changes in fueling strategies (such as electric vs natural gas). I will likely keep the ductwork so that I can install a whole house air purifying system in the house but in the short term it will become unused.

When I contacted a few contractors on this, they wanted $30,000 to do the hydronic system alone. This is a stupid high price that I estimate is about 80% labor. Since I am quite handy around the house I thought about doing it myself. I have put in sprinkler systems, built a greenhouse with water and power (including splicing into the house water and a GFCI circuit breaker) and a dozen other projects.

So here is my plan Im hoping to get comments on:
    1) Have an HVAC guy design the system on paper with a parts list. My budget for that is no more than $500. I want the plans to have parts list with the right fittings, insulation for pipes, and other essential safety parts.
    2) Get a building permit for the install.
    3) Go shopping for my parts and pieces.
    4) Route all the pipes in the house myself. Make connections and so on. Do any under the floor work needed, attach radiators to walls, install under-floor heating in my hardwood areas if it can be done from the basement up and so on.
    5) Have a HVAC guy make the final connections to GAS and Electric for me and give it the once-over for inspection.

Is this a viable plan in your opinion? Also I would like to know if anyone has preference for Hydronic radiator or Mini-Split AC manufacturers and why. Also does anyone know if there are companies that do the entire design of the system for you?

I had a quote for a hydrionic system at my house in northern ny. It all came in at $22,000 and as you I am very fluid in installations of plumbing and copper sweating. I was licensed for the electrical for 35 years so I got that covered too. I was quoted $12,000 for a boiler, baseboard units valves etc.
    The ductless unit I was quoted about $2500 so that and the $12,000 kinda blows your $500 budget out the window.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 05-13-2008, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Radiant floor heat...

Here's a place I found doing a search for radiant floor heat:
      Hydronic radiant heat - Systems, design, and installation resources
      I DO NOT endorse them, as I have no experience with them. It's just an example. However, they do have what appears to be a design team available to help you.
      I did install radiant heat in the upstairs and downstairs lavatories myself. Drilling the holes in the joists and threading the PEX was about the most difficult parts of the job. All parts for the job are available at any box store. Most definately worth the effort!

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        I had a quote for a hydrionic system at my house in northern ny. It all came in at $22,000 and as you I am very fluid in installations of plumbing and copper sweating. I was licensed for the electrical for 35 years so I got that covered too. I was quoted $12,000 for a boiler, baseboard units valves etc.
        The ductless unit I was quoted about $2500 so that and the $12,000 kinda blows your $500 budget out the window.
        The $500 was only for the design on paper and parts list. Fortunately I found a local guy that does it for $80 per hour and that should work.

Comment

Originally posted by kraythe View Post
          Greetings,
          When I contacted a few contractors on this, they wanted $30,000 to do the hydronic system alone.

I agree that that sounds ridiculous. I've just installed a hydronic system in the ground level of my house (on about 980 square feet) with my father's help - completely DIY and for a total cost of about $3000 including a dedicated water heater, fittings and manifolds. Total installation time was about 10 days for 4 rooms and 2 hallways, with 3 people, including installing hardwood floors over the heating loops.

I'm still working on sorting through photos from the installation and making information about what we learned during the process available. Feel free to check here to get some tips about what worked and didn't work for us:

[I can't post links here, so you'll have to decode this yourself]

[http colon slash slash] pieschefamilyhomeimprovement [dot] blogspot [dot] com

Comment

Working...
          X
          =