Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightning Strikes and Central Air Compressor blown?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Strikes and Central Air Compressor blown?

Turn ed on my Central Air for the first time this year, only to be greeted by silence.
    Technician informs me that the compressor's 'blown', and that its likely the result of 'a lightning strike' in the general vicinity. Surprisingly, that's the only event that doesn't seem to be covered under the 10 year warranty . . . Strangely, none of my neighbors' AC units have been affected, (some of them the same unit!) nor any of the electronic devices in my house affected. (TV, AV Receiver, 3 computers, plus the usual running appliances like Fridge, stove, furnace)
    The A/C unit (Goodman) is less than a year old, and I'm inclined to think they're taking the piss here, having sold me either a defective, or a shoddy unit

Opinions? Advice? Any electricians care to comment with poignant knowledge?

Good Luck

Doesn't surprise me at all that they are trying to pass the buck. Don't they have to prove that it was indeed a lighting strike? If I was you and you get no satisfaction I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I had to do that last week. I bought a new 46" LCD television and it broke only after 5 months. It was still under warranty and I took it to the repair shop. They could not get a replacement part because the part that failed was a part that has a very high(90%)failure rate and they said I would get a new television. Then they said they had no television's in stock and I would have to wait 3-4 weeks for the television. That was the middle of April and i'm still waiting. File a complaint with the BBB. Go to there website and fill out the form. It's pretty easy. I wish you luck.

Comment

Since no other units or electronic apparatus is blown, its kinda hard to believe that one component of an a/c system would be the only thing blown. if you have any means of testing for voltage in your system and are not squeemish of using it, I would say start at the source and go downline checking out things. the air handler is on one breaker, the compressor and condenser is on another breaker. the compressor probably has a contactor, same as the condenser fan. the control circuit is I would think 24 volts and is protected by a small fuse on the control circuit transformer. check for 240 volts on the breaker, on the line side of the contactor and the primary side of the control transformer. check for 24 volts off the secondary of the control transformer. if there are small circuit breakers in your control box reset them. if there is an overload on your compressor contactor, reset this. if you have voltage present , turn the thermostat down to 50 or below and listen if anything clicks. if the compressor tries to turn on but pops its reset right away, it may be just jammed or the windings may be burnt. call out the tech and have him try a hot start on the compressor or have him reverse the compressor. reversing the compressor can break it loose.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =