Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced T-stat after power surge, still not working

Hi, everybody. You have no idea how happy I am to find a forum like this. It seems like something new always needs done here, and now I've found the help I need.
    The issue for today is a non-functional central ac unit following power loss due a lightning strike. FPL restored power once, then a little bit later it went out again. I don't know what they did the first time (still at work then), but the second time they replaced the transformer on our pole.
    Everything in our house worked perfectly after the power came back, except the ac. The T-stat, a Totaline model #P032202802, would not show a display. It does not use batteries. I have about 28v between the red and green wires. Maybe I shouldn't have measured between them? Anyhow, the T-stat seemed to be dead, so I bought a Honeywell RTH6300B. I followed the directions when connecting it, but when I turned the breaker back on and set up the unit, nothing happened. The "cool on" symbol was blinking, so, per the instructions, I waited 5 minuted for the compressor protection feature to reset. Now the "cool on" symbol doesn't blink, but I still don't have ac. I can hear the T-stat click in an attempt to turn on the compressor, but nothing happens. If I hold the "fan" button down, the fan will come on. If I hold the "function i.e. ac or heat" button down, I can hear the fan come on. As soon as I release either of them, the fan turns off. I used to have a blue wire htat was connected to the "c" terminal, but the instruction manual says not to connect it, so I didn't.
    Any ideas? I'll appreciate any help you guys can give me. Trust me, Neither I, nor my pregnant wife, nor any of our 3 (5 and younger) girls are going to enjoy a day in S Fla without ac.
    Man, I just realized how spoiled I've gotten. I grew up without ac. Never had it until I came here at 24. Now I think I'll die without it. What a baby. Still, it's gonna be awfully nice to get it back. Again, we'll appreciate any help you can give.
    Thanks, Don.
    BTW. Do you think I managed to cram enough detail in there?

I got quite a bit of detail in there, but it seems I left out the part about the loose connection. I was sure that everything was tight, but as I was moving the unit around I heard it start for a second. Huh???????? I fooled with it some more and verified that it was in fact a loose connection. Well, this is kind of embarrassing, but I'll take it over shelling out more cash for a bad relay or motor. Thanks anyhow, and let this be a lesson. I would have sworn everything was tight. I mean, it's only 4 connections. It's not likely that one will be skipped or anything.
    Take it easy.

Comment

Well, at least YOU found the problem. BUT, as you have probably found out THIS forum is about repairing or at least coming up with ideas about fixing what ails you. We are not like any other forum where you have guys trying to help people who end up badmouthing each "expert" in their repair forum. We are all handymen or hardcore professionals who will bend over backwards to assist you.

Comment

That's the whole reason I decided to post here. I searched the forum to learn what I should do before I did anything. I noticed 3 things. There are a lot of threads and replies, there is a lot of good info in those threads, and I didn't see any flaming anywhere. Yep, that's the forum for me.
        Now it's time to find out how to replace sections of my wood siding. I'm sure that's just going to be looaaaadddsss of fun.

Comment

ok, are we talking cedar shakes, clapboards, asphalt siding, cementitious siding?

Comment

Working...
          X
          =