Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Down

Hello:

About a week ago we started noticing the AC was cooling less and less until last night it was pretty much struggling. So I turned it off. Not to mention we had a terrible night being in Texas.

Anyway today I got someone come over. They told me that the condenser coil was leaking (after performing a leak test). They also checked the evaporator coil in the attic and it was leaking a little bit (they had to struggle to find a leak, it was not easy leak).

Now some history. My house is only 3 years old and I got it built for me (so its age is 3 years not that I bought it 3 years ago). When we moved in, we found that the AC was down. We called the builder and they sent out someone and they found that the condenser coil was leaking so the guy welded it and that fixed the problem. But then I got the builder to replace the entire condenser coil for me.

One year later (when the house was just one year and a couple of weeks old) the AC went down. I was scared that probably it would be out of warranty. But fortunately it wasn't. This time the evaporator coil was leaking so they replaced the evaporator unit.

Now it went down again. This is a Carrier Puron unit. The guy who came over today was telling me that they have found a lots of problems with these new freon type ACs.

Fortunately the condenser coil is still under warranty. But to install it he said that he would charge $300 for freon + $450 to install the coil and vacuum etc.

But unfortunately Carrier said that the coil will be available only after like 7 to 10 days. So I said that go ahead and fill it up with the freon so that we can live for the next week or so until we get the new coil. But when he tried to put the freon in he was not getting one side pressure (I don't remember which side) go up too much. Not to mention the AC did not become any cooler. So he said that there is some restriction there. And then he insisted that the restriction could very well be in the evaporator so I should get the evaporator replaced as well. This would cost me extra $450.

So I guess my question is that does this all make sense. Should I go with replacing both condenser coil as well as evaporator coil, or just the condenser coil for now. The reason is that the evaporator coil is leaking very little bit and apparently there is 5 years warranty on it so I still have 2 more years. The way this thing is failing if I get it replaced it will fail again on me. So I am thinking I should wait if I can for the next year or so before I replace that one.

The other thing I was wondering is that should it be failing so frequently. I am not alone. Looks like my neighbors are also having the same problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

well the joints in the system are silver brazed. I prefer sil-phos. there's no reason why the system should lose freon if the system was installed properly. something develops a leak because someone didn't do their job right! if part of the evaporator or condenser develops a leak, its because a part of either or both is vibrating against something which wears down the coil [into] a tiny - tiny opening [leak] low side pressure is around 70# and high side is normally around 325# [again this depends on the type of refrigerant] R-22 and R-12 is expensive because it is a controlled hydrocarbon gas. R-134a is more environment friendly but also has a higher boiling point than the other two.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =