Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat problem

I have a Carrier single package gas heating/electric cooling unit. When I turn on the heat, the outdoor unit makes a loud deep humming noise. No heat comes from the vents. The fan will work on the blower and the AC works fine. I was thinking possibly induced draft motor?? Any ideas?

Thanks.

your thinking just might be right, I cant tell from here what it sounds like..

Comment

Is there an easy way to test the inducer motor without taking it out of the unit? Also, if I decided to call someone to repair, any idea of what a fair price would be to replace the motor? I want to do it myself, but would like to make sure that this is the problem.
      Last edited by mission; 10-26-2008, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Is there anything I need to be aware of when replacing the inducer fan motor? It looks like it is behind the panel that contains the circiut board.

Comment

as with any heating or cooling device you got to think what's supposed to happen at any given time. if you are calling for heat, the thermostat has an integral part of the solution. same with cooling the thermostat controls both. [heat pump] calling for heat - reversing valve actuates. freon is directed to reclaim heat from the ground loop. aux heat is implemented. all cooling shuts down.

Comment

The easiest way to check the fan is disconnect the leads to the fan and check with a voltage meter to see if there is voltage to the fan or not. This can lead to a electrical shock if you are not carefull, if YOU are not use to working around live WIRES call a repair man. If there is voltage at the leads to the fan then more then likely the motor is dead and needs to be replaced. If you can find literatre with the specs on the motor you can check the windings with a ohm meter to see if it is within factory specs, or if there is no continuity between the leads its probly shorted or burned up

Comment

WOW. I pulled out the inducer motor and found the impellar was rusted and had broken down. But more of a problem was the heat exchanger had also rusted and has some holes. I am having a carrier authorized repair person come and replace the heat exchanger and inducer motor. Can someone guide me in the price I should expect to pay for the repair process of the heat exchanger and the inducer motor. Just so I have some idea for an honest repair. Thanks.

Comment

I would ask the price difference between fixing the old one verses a new one. And check what the warranty is on your furnance a lot of furnances had 10, 20 and some lifetime warranties on the heat exchanger

Comment

Good advice, the heat exchanger has a 10 year warrantee and when I called and made the appointment for a check up, the gentleman looked up my unit and it is within the warrantee period. He stated that the part would be covered but the labor would not. About my other problem, do you know if the impellar can be replaced or if the whole inducer motor needs to be replaced?

Comment

its really your choice replacing or repair. as long as the heat exchanger is gonna be covered why not start with a new motor and impeller. I'd hate to have you change the impeller to have the motor burn up after two weeks.

Comment

You're absolutely right....always good to have someone with good sense in looking out for the long haul. I guess I was looking to save a little. But as always seems to be the case, save a little now, pay alot later!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =