Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature Discrepency

Forgive me if this has been covered before. If it has I would appreciate being referred to the post.

I have an older home (1920's) with forced air gas furnace that is about 5 years old. The problem is our 2nd story is COLD. Of the 4 rooms we have upstairs my daughter's room and the bathroom share a vent which puts out plenty of air. The other bedroom and the master barely get a whisper of air out of the vent and so....no heat. There are no cold air returns upstairs so the local HVAC guy that I paid $60 to come out only had the suggestion to make sure the door to the upstairs was open and to turn the fan on to run continuously. This has helped but only very marginally. I had an electrician give me a quote of $1800 to run another circuit upstairs and install electric baseboard heat. Besides being expensive it's not my wife's favorite idea to have big ugly heaters that the babies could get at and have the wiring run in tracks on the outside of the walls at that. Of course I have old windows, no wall insulation.....ugh. With a 1 year old and another one due in December we want to get this resolved ASAP. The space heater thing will not work this year.

check out the distribution dampers in the basement on the trunk lines. this is a circular damper that's inside the pipe and is adjustable by means of a lever outside of the pipe with a wing nut lock on it. if you have access to the trunk line perhaps installing a duct booster fan would help. WW Grainger has two of these units. they are wired so they come on when the main blower comes on.

Comment

Forgot to mention, no combination of ducts on or off seems to make any difference in the airflow. I can shut off every single duct leading downstairs and it doesn't seem to push any more air to the upstairs. Think an in-line fan is still a good possibility for a solution. I'm not looking for the temperatures to match just so the upstairs where the babies are is comfortable.

By the way, thanks for all your help in the various forums.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =