Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD Central AC/Heat problem

About 3 weeks ago I turned the system off (at the thermostat) because of the pleasant weather. When I woke up to 31 degrees and tried to turn the heat on, NOTHING happened. Tried to turn the air on NOTHING happened. Tried to turn just the fan on, NOTHING happened. The thermostat clicks, but that's it. The thermostat was updated to a digital about 4 months ago, so all was tested then. Went through summer in Alabama with no problem with the air at all. All of a sudden NOTHING.

I tried to find a reset button, flipped breakers, i'm at a loss as what to do and am completely broke (ie, can't buy a replacement even though i know that's what I need - the darn thing is ancient York Model N2AHD10A06C)

before you go totally bonkers try to visualized whats supposed to happen at any given time. first of all do you have control power? check for an open control fuse. secondary circuits are 24 volt. if fuse is ok, look for a tripped control device, may need to be manually reset. hi limits can be reset, low limits can be reset. shorted heat elements will blow main breakers.
    check circuit from the control secondary to the thermostat. out of the thermostat to a burner relay [ if you have gas] check for a flame control device [if you have gas] there is a sequence you have to follow for any heating system.

Comment

Thanks HayZee!!
      I appreciate the response!
      1. it's all electric
      2. the breakers in the breaker box controlling the unit were not tripped (showing red), but I flipped them anyway
      3. I know there's a "reset" button somewhere because the idiot that took 3 hours to replace the thermostat used it more than once when he replaced it (he gave me the willies so i didn't ask him to show me where it was... hind site and all that)

Unfortunately, almost everything you said went right over my head I'm a female (ladies don't throw tomatoes here), I'll replace a faucet because I can mop up water - I don't putz around with electrical... it's not a nuisance, it can kill

BUT... Since the response WAS so detailed (thank you again), I'll be able to pass it on to my friend that has worked with the power company - hopefully he'll understand it and be able to help. If not he'll just have to keep me warm for the next few months

Comment

Working...
      X
      =