Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat

I have a problem maybe someone could shed some light on. As of yesterday my heater stopped working. I have a gas hotwater heater and gas heater. I turn the thermostat on and it doesnt come on. Normally when you turn it up you hear a CLICK that signals it will come on. Now when i turn up the thermostat I dont hear a click. Do you think I need a new thermostat? The thermostat on there now is a Coleman. Its quite old but has been very dependable.

Honeywell and White Rogers make a "silent" thermostat. Others use a bi-mettalic element to make and break a set of contacts [that's why you hear a click] the other two use a sealed mercury capsule connected to a bi-metal coil that contracts and expands as temperature rises and falls. disconnect your thermostat and temporaily join the two wires together and see if your furnace kicks on. take off the cover plate on the old thermostat and move the set temperature handle and watch the contacts. do they open and close? is there a broken wire on one of the contacts? there should be no reason why the stat shouldn't work unless its way out of calibration or the contacts have literally fried or burnt up.

Comment

May I also direct your interest towards this web site for coleman products. Maybe you can find all sorts of stuff here.
      Coleman Gas Furnace Parts

Comment

Rarely is there a problem with a t-stat when you have heating issues, its not out of the question that it might be the t-stat, But first you need to find out if you have a call from the t-stat to the furnace.

Comment

Check too and see if it has just accumulated dust, etc and wont allow it to make contact. If you are in a mobile home, those stats were used due to mobile homes sometimes swaying a bit on windy days. If you are in a typical house...I suggest you change it to the bubble type due to them being more accurate. They are tad more expensive than snap action, but worth it

Comment

Working...
          X
          =