Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace or repair

I have a 2 ton Carrier gaspack. It is 10 years old and has a defective heat exchanger and inducer motor. Got an estimate to replace both for $1350. I also received an option to replace the entire unit with a hybrid gas/electric carrier unit for $5500 or a gaspack carrier for $4500. Here are my questions.

1. Replace or repair. I am told with the new freon and age of the unit, it would be a good idea to replace. 2. hybrid vs gas ( I never liked electric heat but I am told that the new units are much improved ). 3. The newer units are much more efficient so with the hybrid, I was told I should save around $800 per year so in 4 years, I would break even with the replacement and now have a newer unit with a warrantee.

the new refrigerant is R-134a. It is a hydrocarbon but doesn't pollute the atmosphere. R-22 and R-12 is still available but is very, very expensive. The boiling point of R-134a is less than the other two so you pay the price BUT it does work efficiently. I got it in my Ford Taurus and the a/c gets cold enough to hang beef! :-)
    Electricity wise watts is watts - how they improve efficiency of electric heat units I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the new refrigerant is R-134a. It is a hydrocarbon but doesn't pollute the atmosphere. R-22 and R-12 is still available but is very, very expensive. The boiling point of R-134a is less than the other two so you pay the price BUT it does work efficiently. I got it in my Ford Taurus and the a/c gets cold enough to hang beef! :-)
      Electricity wise watts is watts - how they improve efficiency of electric heat units I have no idea.
      The refrigerant is 410a not 134a, 134a is used in autos, walk in freezers and refrigerators and window a/c's. R-12 , like you said is very expensive but r-22 is slowly being phased out but is still affordable.
      Last edited by hvacwiz; 11-15-2008, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =