Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom fan and condensation

I installed a fan for our small (4'X8') downstairs bathroom. See the diagram below for locations

_____________DOOR____
    l________---------------l
    l-Shower-l--FAN---------l
    l -Stall---l---------------l
    l________l_____________l

The problem is when someone showers the corner by the shower stall remains foggy and the walls and crown molding condensate from the shower stream. I assume this is happening because the fan is taking in air from around the door and the air in the corner by the shower stall doesn't move. Is there anything I can do? Everything is drywalled and completed, unfortunately I discovered this with the first shower I took down there!

ok, try this. get a piece of rope smouldering [ not on fire] take it with you in the shower area, close the door, turn on the fan and move the rope to several areas to see the air currents set up by the fan - dead space will hardly move active areas will. then see if placing objects like a small cabinet, a towel rack or something will break up the dead air space. is the cfm of the fan high enough for its application?

Comment

I will try that but the bathroom is so small (probably more like 3.5'X6') that I am sure the fan is adequate, a 3/4 bathroom really can't get much smaller. I am out of town so I will have to try it this weekend. There is really no room to add any shelves or anything either.

Comment

Air will take the easiest path since the fan is closer to the door then the shower you wont get any air flow on the side where the shower is located unless you do something to force it too. when a house duct work is layed out you put the supply and return registers in certain areas to get the air flow without any stagnent areas. You may need to live with it or make some changes to fix the problem

Comment

Well the fan is 50CFM and the bathroom is 245f^3. I only need a 32CFM fan for a bathroom that size, therefore, the fan is more than adequate. Since the shower is in the corner I don't think there is much I can do, the fan would have to be moved to right above the shower stall, that would require ripping out my drywall cieling and wall to run more pipe and a longer conductors...not going to happen.

There is a fairly big gap under the door so all the air is probably coming in from there. I wonder if I could put a little sweep under the door so air is more restricted and take more paths in the bathroom to the fan?

Comment

Well I'd leave well enough alone - the makeup air has to come from someplace. I'm afraid you are going to have to live with the condensation issue.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =