Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace Filters...

What are the best price to performance furnace filters? I have been buying cheap fiberglass ones but what are your opinions? I know you should change the filter about every 3 months but my digital thermostat has a filter indicator, I assume it calculates how many hours the fan is turning and lets you know when the filter should be changed, should I go by this?

My furnace filter housing is pretty wide and it seems like 2 filters should go in together (it actually fits perfectly like that). I only put 1 filter in but why is the slot so wide? Also, the filter housing cap was missing when I bought the house, I have just been using masking tape to close it off everytime I replace the filter, is this acceptable?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks.

Ahhh the age old question about furnace filters......
    This one isn't so easily answered and 10 people will give you 10 different answers.
    For my answer I go by three things, my HVAC guy (licensed, certified all that stuff) the furnace companies and last but never least "Consumer Reports"
    All three say that the "El Cheapo" filters changed monthly offer the best results at a low cost, Consumer Reports adds that if a member of the family has low tolerances to dust or more importantly pollen, dander etc...then you are better of getting a mid grade filter and again changing it monthly.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Wow, changing monthly?!

Comment

high efficiency filters are coated and pleated so they are two inches deep [thick] I recall northeast utilities where I worked, they bought filter frames for replaceable media. the media was open cell gray neoprene. a compound like "high tack" was sprayed on the media before installation.

Comment

Originally posted by DKAudio View Post
          Wow, changing monthly?!
          Yep, monthly for cheapy filters, after all you can get them for around $2 a piece.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =