Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is a dirty post!

our blower fan blades are caked with ages old dust, etc. thought this was supposed to be part of annual/bi-annual checkup and "cleaning"! also, the blower has run now for about 12 years without shutting off/cycling. have been told the relay is sticking. now that I have it all open and can see blower and relay my question(s) is/are.
    how do I clean the blades on the blower while collecting all the mess that I hope will come off?

one tech suggested hitting the side of the unit where the relay is located in hopes of jarring loose the stuck contact. surprise! didn't work! is it a BIG pain to change out the relay???

any help on either problem will be appreciated. wife is worried about odors/fumes from any cleaning fluid I might use on the blower. it is obviously getting unbalanced and so am I. the blower I mean. slight rumble and can feel vibration when touching the side of the unit.

again, any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Bo...not the handiest man.

blower wheel (whole assembly then remove blower wheel) should come out of the furnace for cleaning, a relay is not hard to change out. you say this thing has been running for how many years without shuting off???
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

blower with long legs

thanks for the response...

the sucker has been running for about 12yrs except for usual power outages.

also I seem to have lost some of your post. it starts with,,,blower wheel(whole assembly then remove blower wheel) should come out of the furnace for cleaning, a relay is not hard to change out. you say this thing has been running for how many years without shuting off???
      Last edited by botree@charter.net; 01-14-2009, 09:27 AM. Reason: punctuation correction

Comment

the whole thing should pull out, housing,motor, and the wheel in one piece. there will be a set screw on the blower wheel shaft that you losen and then take the motor off, clean the wheel to your hearts content..
        Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Boy, have you got lazy tech people. Seems that they are quick to suggest ways of doing things but lack the get up and go to actually do the work. Crud on any fan will make it out of balance and reduce its efficiency to blow air. the extra weight on the fan will reduce the life of the motor bearing on the end its fastened to. just a guess but the allen screw in the fan hub may be a 1/4-20 or a 5/16-18 thread. a 1/4-20 is probably a 1/8th inch allen. 5/16 is 3/16" allen. use plenty of a penetrating oil and gently tap the hub. then try to loosen it.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =