Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrier spilt unit trips breaker

My sons A/C keeps tripping the breaker when turned on. My son is an electrian by trade and has norrowed it down the the compressor causing it to trip. Any ideas or is it time to replace the compressor. Only five years old.

Thanks.

have him put an amprobe on one of the compressor leads and read the amperage when the unit trips. then compare that to the nameplate rating of the compressor. initial start-up will draw approx 125% of nameplate rating. have him listen for a click when it trips. if he hears this click, then an overload is tripping. the compressor also has an over current relay in the compressor circuit as protection. if he knows anyone with a/c experience, have him try a hot shot start to see if the compressor is locked up.

Comment

If the unit was installed according to specifications, the breaker should be rated high enough to tolerate even a hard starting compressor. Sounds to me like the run winding or start winding is grounded to the case, ie: compressor burnout. I would look on the unit to see if the installing company put a sticker on it somewhere, becasue the compressor should have at least a five year warranty, and many manufacturers now offer ten or more year warranties. I would make the call first thing in the AM

HandymanTrainer

Comment

Working...
      X
      =