Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problematic AC unit

I just moved into an apartment with central cooling. The AC unit is on the balcony, enclosed, and the warm air has no where to go. The AC unit (day or night) has trouble even coming down 1 degree! My electric bill came out to 220.00 for 3 weeks.

I have a 700 square foot, 1 bedroom apartment and the AC unit is just not efficient.

The company sent out a guy and he cleaned off the AC unit but it actually seems more difficult for it to give out cool air.

It will literally take 6 plus hours for it to go below 77 degrees.

Any advice? Thanks!

Are you getting good air flow out of the vents?
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Even filthy coils should be able to cool a little bit. It sure sounds like the system is incorrectly charged. Perhaps an inexperienced hvac tech serviced it as part of the make-ready maintenance and overcharged the system. Would be far from the first time it's happened.
      If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by Java_Bob View Post
        Are you getting good air flow out of the vents?
        Air flow isn't that good but I think the real problem is the temperature of the unit.

Comment

What kind of enclosure is it in? Is it fully enclosed from the outside or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho0124 View Post
            What kind of enclosure is it in? Is it fully enclosed from the outside or something?
            here it is. thanks!

Comment

Bleh.. Yeah that is definitely far from ideal. For one, the unit has very little spacing from the wall. Far less than it should for good airflow. For two, the unit is blasting heat directly up at the ceiling. The hot air is just bouncing off and back down into the unit. http://www.thermopride.com/pdfs/PremiereACISManual.pdf check out page 5. It needs to get relocated. The heat buildup is going to destroy that poor compressor eventually (if it's not already seriously damaged). If you have trouble talking the management into getting it relocated, or if it's going to take some time for them to get to it, I would go ahead and construct a simple cardboard duct to vent all that exhaust outside through that screen. Maybe cut up some nice thick cardboard boxes and assemble with duct tape. Have the exhausting air hit a 45' angle or less and send it outta there through that screen. It's not an ideal solution by any means but it will give that poor abused compressor a break and maybe your apartment some much needed cooling. Good luck!
              Last edited by Psycho0124; 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Bleh.. Yeah that is definitely far from ideal. For one, the unit has very little spacing from the wall. Far less than it should for good airflow. For two, the unit is blasting heat directly up at the ceiling. The hot air is just bouncing off and back down into the unit. check out page 5. It needs to get relocated. The heat buildup is going to destroy that poor compressor eventually (if it's not already seriously damaged). If you have trouble talking the management into getting it relocated, or if it's going to take some time for them to get to it, I would go ahead and construct a simple cardboard duct to vent all that exhaust outside through that screen. Maybe cut up some nice thick cardboard boxes and assemble with duct tape. Have the exhausting air hit a 45' angle or less and send it outta there through that screen. It's not an ideal solution by any means but it will give that poor abused compressor a break and maybe your apartment some much needed cooling. Good luck!

Thanks a lot...i will try that.

Comment

Is the condenser located inside a hallway or foyer as it shows in the picture? Dead air space - no circulation? or is this outside?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                    Is the condenser located inside a hallway or foyer as it shows in the picture? Dead air space - no circulation? or is this outside?
                    Outside. when the unit is running, the balcony becomes very hot and unbearable to be near. (so much for sitting on the balcony!)

Comment

Bleh.. Yeah that is definitely far from ideal. For one, the unit has very little spacing from the wall. Far less than it should for good airflow. For two, the unit is blasting heat directly up at the ceiling. The hot air is just bouncing off and back down into the unit. check out page 5. It needs to get relocated. The heat buildup is going to destroy that poor compressor eventually (if it's not already seriously damaged). If you have trouble talking the management into getting it relocated, or if it's going to take some time for them to get to it, I would go ahead and construct a simple cardboard duct to vent all that exhaust outside through that screen. Maybe cut up some nice thick cardboard boxes and assemble with duct tape. Have the exhausting air hit a 45' angle or less and send it outta there through that screen. It's not an ideal solution by any means but it will give that poor abused compressor a break and maybe your apartment some much needed cooling. Good luck!
                      Would cardboard be a fire hazard?

Comment

to what? the air temp coming off the condenser would have to be over 500 degrees to constitute a fire hazard.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =